Translate

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Old book



My library has a little shop inside; where it sells some books that either the library is getting rid of, or it was donated and they just didn't put them on the shelves. While browsing through this section I found a really old looking book. I love old books and as a matter fact that's what I was searching the shelves for, some old books. 
Anyways I grabbed this book along with a few others and went to go sit down and take a look at this book. The book didn't have a copyright date or really any information at all; other then the company name and the fact it was printed in Philadelphia.  So I did some researching and if my research is correct this book is 171 years of age, Dated back in 1844. 
As I've previously stated I love old books. It's cool to think about how many people had the book before me. I mean in 1844 they were still building America itself so this is a pretty cool thing for me. 



Events of 1844
  • January 15 – The University of Notre Dame receives its charter from Indiana.
  • February 28 – The "Peacemaker", the largest naval gun in the world, explodes during a demonstration aboard the USS Princeton, killing seven, including Secretary of State Abel P. Upshur and Secretary of the Navy Thomas Walker Gilmer.
  • March 12 – The Columbus and Xenia Railroad, the first railroad that is planned to be built in Ohio, is chartered.
  • May 24 – The first electrical telegram is sent by Samuel F. B. Morse from the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C. to the B&O Railroad "outer depot" in Baltimore, Maryland, saying "What hath God wrought".
  • June 22 – Influential North American fraternity Delta Kappa Epsilon is founded at Yale University.
  • June 27 – Joseph Smith, Jr., founder of the Latter Day Saint movement, and his brother Hyrum, are killed in Carthage JailCarthage, Illinois.
  • July 3 – The United States signs The Sino-American Treaty of Wanghia with the Chinese Government (the first diplomatic agreement between China and the United States in history).
  • August 8 – During a meeting held in Nauvoo, the Quorum of the Twelve, headed by Brigham Young, is chosen as the leading body of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
  • October 22 – The Great DisappointmentMillerites (including future members of the Seventh-day Adventist Church) find that the Second Coming of Jesus does not occur as predicted by preacher William Miller.
  • December 4 – U.S. presidential election, 1844James K. Polk defeats Henry Clay .

I'll be going back to this library again today so I hope to find more treasures, and I'll give you an update if I find anything.
- Hugs from Hayley



2 comments:

  1. I love that not only do you appreciate an old book but that you researched the year as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You love books as much as your mom does :-) So happy to see you show appreciation for them :-) Love u!

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting!
~Hugs from Hayley